2/13/2015

Review || The Conduit by Stacey Rourke

Title: The Conduit
Author: Stacey Rourke
Publisher: Anchor Group
Published: (first published in 2011)
Format: Ebook
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Series: Gryphon #1
Rating: ★★★
Find on: Goodreads

Summary:
All 18-year-old Celeste Garrett wants is to head off to college and make those fun, yet ill-advised, choices college kids are known for. And maybe to spend some time with the hot cameraman she just met. Instead, because of a pact her ancestors made in the 17th century with a mythical creature, she has to save the world.

While normal kids are slamming energy drinks and cramming for exams, Celeste will get her adrenaline rush fighting a fire breathing dragon. She wants to meet friends in the quad to exchange lecture notes, but first she must exchange blows with a shapeshifting demon on the rooftop. Life isn’t always fair for a superhero, but at least she doesn’t have to do it alone. With her brother and sister as sidekicks, they alternate between saving lives and getting on each others’ nerves. Together the trio encounters unspeakable odds, mystical forces and comes face-to-face with an image that will haunt them forever—their grandmother in a leopard print bikini.


Review:
I've read two books by Stacy Rourke before, and I absolutely loved both of them. So I was excited to pick up her first novel, and I'm glad I picked it up, because this was a really fun book. It was a quick read, and very easy to get into.

I would have loved some more world building. We do get background information on everything that's going on, but it seems a but crammed and hurried. I would have loved if it was a little more in depth, and maybe told over different occasions instead of getting mostly everything all at once. The world seems really complex, and there's just so much we still don't really know about it. 

“At certain moments in life, reflection is mandatory. I found being squeezed in the scaly claw of a three story dragon to be one of them.” 
One thing I felt like was missing, was more of the villains. The bad guys don't really seem like more than your standard bad guys. I was missing motives and more reason for why they did what they did, and not just because they are the bad guys

I really liked our three main characters. They were all really fun, and for the most part you could tell them apart. The only one who maybe fell a little flat was Kendall. She seemed a little too cliched and one dimensional, and I would have loved if she would break out of that role - maybe it'll happen in the next books. 
Our main character Celeste was a darling. She is fun and really her own. She is so witty and has so much snark, which is a something I really love in characters. Then there's Gabe I have such a crush on him. He is the oldest of the siblings, and he is very temperamental. While not the best voice of reason, he is the strongest one in this story, which makes things kind of interesting.
Did you see the kicky, twirly thing I did? I don't know what that was but it was friggin' sweet!
There was so much banter in this book, and I both loved and hated that. Sometimes it could seem like the only way the siblings could communicate with each other was through banter. Even in difficult and dangerous situations they found time to banter, and it didn't seem like However there were some really hilarious moments where their small banter was just what was needed. 

There is a bit of a love interest in this story, but it's not something that takes over the entire book which is awesome. I think it would have ruined the book if there had been too much focus on the love aspect of everything. Actually there was a point in the book where I kind of forgot that there was a main love interest for Celeste. Whoops. 

I enjoyed this book, and I'm glad that I finally decided to picked it up. I will definitely continue this series, and I can't wait to see where it's going to take me. (also the cover for the second book has Gabe on it, which just makes me very happy)

No comments:

Post a Comment